Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea kicked off the new season with wins over Leicester City, Newcastle United and Huddersfield Town respectively.
A Paul Pogba penalty and first United goal for Luke Shaw was enough against Leicester, despite Jamie Vardy grabbing a consolation goal.
Joselu equalised for Newcastle after Jan Vertonghen opened the scoring for Tottenham, but Dele Alli scored the winner minutes later.
Goals from N’Golo Kante, Jorginho and Pedro Rodriguez helped Chelsea put Huddersfield to the sword.
Arsenal’s era under Unai Emery started with the Gunners coming unstuck at home to Manchester City on Sunday. Raheem Sterling opened the scoring in the 14th minute, with Bernardo Silva doubling the visitors’ advantage after the hour mark – 2.0.
Liverpool got off to a perfect start after thrashing West Ham United 4-0 at Anfield. After Mohamed Salah broke the deadlock in the 19th minute, Sadio Mane made it 2-0 before the break. Minutes after the restart, Mane scored his second goal and Daniel Sturridge put the game to bed with Liverpool’s fourth in the 88th minute.
Friday, August 10, 2018
- Manchester United 2-1 Leicester City
Saturday, August 11
- Newcastle United 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur
- Watford 2-0 Brighton & Hove Albion
- Bournemouth 2-0 Cardiff City
- Fulham 0-2 Crystal Palace
- Huddersfield Town 0-3 Chelsea
- Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-2 Everton
Sunday, August 12
- Southampton 0-0 Burnley
- Liverpool 4-0 West Ham United
- Arsenal 0-2 Manchester City